Monday, October 29, 2012

JONATHAN CHEBAN TALKS OG JORDANS, KANYE STYLE ADVICE & KIM K’S SNEAKER CLOSET

It’s not bad being Jonathan Cheban, but it is busy. A regular day begins at 9 AM in sunny Florida, awoken by fresh juice delivery from OnJuice and followed by a workout session with LeBron James’s personal trainer. The next move finds him at his day job, filming Kim and Kourtney Take Miami alongside two lovely ladies you may have heard of. TV time transitions into digital dominance via his new website, Elite Daily, with the day concluding in side projects such as his Sushi Mikasa restaurant and personal jewelry line.
Despite this heavy, though polished, plate, Cheban still makes time for shoe shopping. While it’d be easy to assume the man beside Kim Kardashian is on the heels of a recent celebrity trend, one look at the heels of his Air Jordan 4s quickly writes off such a notion. We caught up with the reality star and recent CSS regular to discuss rocking OGs, talking style with Kanye, and what’s in Kim K’s sneaker closet.
Nice Kicks: How long would you say you’ve been into sneakers?
Jonathan Cheban: I’ve literally been into sneakers since 1987– especially as a Jordan fan. The 4s? I was addicted to them, just waiting for the originals to come out. It drives me crazy reading the comments like, ‘Oh, he’s wearing Jordans now?’ I was wearing Jordans before they were born. It’s just really funny to me.
Nice Kicks: Did Jordan draw you in more as a player or as a style icon?
Jonathan Cheban: Back then it was both. He was on fire and the sneakers had the perfect shape to them. The color combinations were unbelievable. When I saw the “Cement” 4s, I was just shaken. They were so sick. Ever since then, I’ve just been a huge Jordan fan.
Nice Kicks: Which pair of Jordans are your favorite?
Jonathan Cheban: Definitely the Air Jordan 4s. Those are my favorite. I still have the originals; I actually wore them yesterday. There’s such a difference between the originals and the retros. The leather is so different. My leather is mushy and so comfy inside and the new ones are completely different. People running around in retros don’t even know what a good sneaker is. It’s no comparison.

Nice Kicks: Have sneakers always been a part of your personal style?
Jonathan Cheban: Professionally, I used to wear low Dunks with jackets and jeans before anyone was really doing that. It was a casual chic look and I’d go to fancy events with Dunks. Then a lot of people started doing that so I stopped. You can’t be behind the times with the followers.
Nice Kicks: You wore the “Doernbecher” 4s backstage at the Jay-Z show at Barclays as well as scooter shopping. Describe the different reactions in each situation.
Jonathan Cheban: People went crazy. My favorite sneaker store right now is Kixclusive. I had my eye on them for a while and got them that day for the Jay-Z concert. I walked out with them on and it was like a prize. People went nuts when they saw them, especially backstage at the show, all those guys know about sneakers. There were so many paparazzi pics when we went scooter shopping that I got so many comments on Twitter. The color combo is overwhelming to me; it’s just beautiful
Nice Kicks: We’ve noticed Kim wearing sneakers more. Who gets credit for that?
Jonathan Cheban: Yeah, Kim had her Sketchers deal so she was wearing sneakers then. But I saw last week in her closet that she has the “Pure Platinum” Yeezys. They looks really good on her.
Nice Kicks: Out of you, Rob, and Kanye, who has the strongest sneaker game?
Jonathan Cheban: Oh my God! Well, Kanye’s got a lot of Yeezys that add up, but I’ve been doing the sneaker game for a lot longer than Rob. That’s for sure. I don’t know where Rob gets his from, but he doesn’t have any originals. I definitely have the originals from like 20 years ago. Kanye’s got sick Louis Vuittons and stuff like that. Those are on another level.
Nice Kicks: Do you ever talk to Kanye about style?
Jonathan Cheban: Of course! He’s like a style genius. I know when I’m going out with Kanye to put my best sneakers on because Kanye sees everything. He always comments like, ‘I love those Jordan 1s.’ But the black Yeezy 2s are literally, to me, the perfect shoe. It doesn’t get any better than that. That mold, that shape? He should have like a hundred different colors of that because it’s perfect.

Nice Kicks: We put you against Wale in a recent Who Rocked It Better. In your opinion, which celebs or artists have the best style?
Jonathan Cheban: I love Wiz Khalifa. He wears really dope shoes and a lot of rose gold which I love. He’s very cool. I love Justin Bieber and his whole Supra thing, because I was wearing Supras for a long time and for me those are great for going out. And Kanye. His style is so clean but everything is super expensive. I read comments where people are like, ‘Oh, he’s wearing a ripped t-shirt.’ It’s like, ‘That ripped t-shirt costs more than your house!’ It’s ripped on purpose like that; it’s so above people’s heads. People don’t know even know those designers and they don’t understand it. He’s just dealing with a whole different head.
Nice Kicks: Have you picked up anything style wise from Kanye?
Jonathan Cheban: He’s wearing a lot of leather, even leather in the summer, that’s like the big thing. I’m kind of getting into that. He wears a lot of dark colors, never any print. I kind of like that look. Minimalistic colors and very good fabrics– he’s everything not cheesy.
                                                                                                           Dope Interview..Shocking.. But Dope lol


No comments:

Post a Comment